chloelee

[B.O.O.K.L.I.F.E]

Hey! My name is Chloe, I am an 18- year-old college student. I love reading and review YA fiction and am the co-blogger of [B.O.O.K.L.I.F.E]. I also love action moveies, cats, and tea.

Destined
Aprilynne Pike
Goodbye, Rebel Blue
Shelley Coriell
The Immortal Rules - Julie Kagawa For MORE Reviews visit [B.O.O.K.L.I.F.E]: http://mnkbooklife.blogspot.com

Title : The Immortal Rules
Pages : 485
Source : Library
Rating : ✿✿✿✿✿

Review:

I am on a role with these Five Star reviews!! It has been one great book after another. Of course due to the rules of the universe, now that I've said something the next book I read will probably be horrible. But don't worry this book sure wasn't!

"You are no longer human. You are a predator, and the sooner you accept that, the easier this life, this existence, will become."

— Kanin

The Story
I can honestly say that this is the first time that I have read a Vampire Dystopia, but if they are as good as this than I need to read a lot more.

Living in a dangerous Vampire run society, Alison Skemoto does her best to survive as a human and eventually, a vampire. And not lose her humanity along the way. Then must learn to act human while venturing off with a vampire hating group searching for their 'promised land'.

I love the way this story is written. I've become accustomed to books with slow beginnings, especially first books in a series. It not something I really have a problem with as long as it doesn't get to boring. But slow is not a word that I would us to describe this book. ACTION PACKED? Yes.

Now I am a girl who love a good action sequence but it has to be done right. And Kagawa definitely does it right. But that's not all this book is about. I love getting to learn more about Alison as a character and her struggle to keep a hold of her humanity as a vampire. The book has the perfect balance of character struggle, romance, and of course, action.

The Writing
This women know how to write some great characters. I think this book has some of the best developed characters that I have EVER read in YA Fiction. Not to mention her world building is exquisite. I felt like I was really WITH Allison on her journey, even if there were times I didn't want to be there. It was scary as hell. But Kagawa had her hooks into me.

The Characters
Alison. Alison. Alison. She's a front runner for best female book character of the year (yes it exists...in my mind). Even though my first impression of her was that she was extremely self-centered. It seemed like she only cared about herself, but I was quickly proven wrong. What might seem like a self-centered girl with bad attitude. Really is just her way of surviving. I am getting so tired of the snarky so-called "kick ass" female character who turns out to be more talk than anything. Finally a heroine who can back it up!

I loved Allie's, vampire mentor, Kanin. Despite the fact we didn't get to learn to much about him. But I think that whole mysterious and wise vampire vibe was what made him so cool and intriguing. I hope we get to see a lot more of him in the books to come.

At first I did not like Zeke. AT ALL. Honestly I just was so pleased with Allie as a character and her bad-ass-ness that I felt like a romance would ruin it. Which I know is weird, because whats a book without a little romance? But then I started to appreciate Zeke and I loved how his personality was at contrasts with Allie's and yet they still had great chemistry. His sweet, hopeful and innocent nature (despite all the horrid things he has seen) makes him totally lovable and less jaded than Allie. It's a sweet relationship.

The Good
Uh... Where do I start...the way this book is written it just keeps you guessing. I know that sound cliché but its true. Characters that you'll instantly love and root for.

The excellent world building, action, but really it all comes back to the authors writing style if it wasn't for that this world just be another vampire book. And I think we've had enpugh of those.

The Bad
I cannot think about one single thing that I dislike about this book. I'm sure I could if I really tried. But I'm still in my obsessive excitement mode after reading this book. I keep thinking about it and bad thoughts have no place here.

Seriously, I can't think of one flaw this book has, there probably is SOMETHING, but I am so overwhelmed by the awesomeness that I can't think of anything negative.

My Final Thoughts
Please put this book on you TBR. I know a lot of you are burnt out on the whole vampire craze, me included. But this book is no Twilight I promise you. No insta-lovey dovey relationship, just a young girl trying to survive this a dangerous post-apocalyptic world. You know just you everyday occurrences. She just so happens to be a vampire, making her even cooler, by the way. I am now an official Julie Kagawa Fan a Kagawaian if you will, who wants to join me?