chloelee

[B.O.O.K.L.I.F.E]

Hey! My name is Chloe, I am an 18- year-old college student. I love reading and review YA fiction and am the co-blogger of [B.O.O.K.L.I.F.E]. I also love action moveies, cats, and tea.

Destined
Aprilynne Pike
Goodbye, Rebel Blue
Shelley Coriell
Splintered - A.G. Howard For MORE Reviews visit [B.O.O.K.L.I.F.E]: http://www.mnkbooklife.blogspot.com

Title : Splintered
Pages : 371
Source : Library
Rating : ✿✿✿✿✿

Review:
I'm only 18 years old so obviously I have not been on this planet very long but in that time I have both read and seen many different artistic takes on Alice in Wonderland. A.G Howard's version blows every single one of those out of the water. And yes I'm looking at you you Tim Burton.

"You cry for him yet bled for me. One must wonder which is more powerful. More binding. I suppose we shall one day know."

— Morpheus

The Story
This story takes place mostly in Wonderland (one VERY different that what you are used to), Alyssa our MC goes on a journey to get proof of the existence of Wonderland to save her mother and prove that she isn't crazy.

I won't say any more because I would hate to ruin it for anyone but what seems like a simple story soon change into so much more.

The Writing
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the way this story is writing. I mean you begin to begin to think that you know Alice in Wonderland. But Ms. Howard totally changes it up making it a new story entirely. Into one a little more monstrous but much more interesting.

The writing (which is in purple ink!) is dark and magical with a touch of creepy. My favourite kind of mix.

The Characters
Alyssa our MC is a great main character. As the descendant of Alice, she is not what you would expect. A bit morbid (she makes art work out of bugs) I found that I was quickly invested in her character and her story.

Jeb is not my favourite character by far but what you would expect as the MC's life long best friend who also happens to be in love with her. Responsible, trustworthy and BORING.

No, in my opinion the one of the best characters here is Morpheus. Even if his name makes me think of The Matrix. I mean he's a dude with WINGS and he is still awesome. I know that we as readers aren't meant to exactly trust him, as he does lie to Alyssa A LOT. But you can tell that he really does care about her thinks he is helping her understand her true self.

And of course all the crazy and interesting characters of Wonderland. Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dumb, The Cheshire Cat, The Smoking Caterpillar, the red and white queen, the White Rabbit , and even Humpty Dumpty. Just don't be shocked to find out that they are a little different from what you may remember.

The Good
EVERY. SINGLE. THING.

The wonderful characters. The writing. The setting. The story. The Gothic tone. I think you get where I'm going with this.

And I really appreciate the originality that the author brings to this book. It always amazes me how creative some people can be; probably because I'm not very creative, but this isn't about me. I usually HATE retellings because they just aren't as good as the originals but A.G. Howard has totally turned me around.

The Bad
Nope!

My Final Thoughts
This book is sooooo good! I totally recommend this book, especially if your a Gothic fantasy lover like me. If you haven't read this book yet, go out and get it NOW. You will not regret it. Promise!