chloelee

[B.O.O.K.L.I.F.E]

Hey! My name is Chloe, I am an 18- year-old college student. I love reading and review YA fiction and am the co-blogger of [B.O.O.K.L.I.F.E]. I also love action moveies, cats, and tea.

Destined
Aprilynne Pike
Goodbye, Rebel Blue
Shelley Coriell
Half-Blood - Jennifer L. Armentrout For MORE reviews check out Coco's Bookish Adventures: http://www.cocosbokishadventures.blogspot.com
Review:

The Story

OH! MY! GOD! I loved this book!!! I really did. Usually I would not give the first book of a series 5 Stars but this book is a definite exception. Well first of all, I thought the story was very well paced. Some people might have considered it slow, but for the first book in the series I like for an author to allow time for readers to get to know the characters.

In the book, after some unfortunate events, Alex is forced to go back to the Covenant; a school for Hematoi and Half-bloods. She must train with Aiden, a pure-blood, and stay out of trouble so that she can continue training to become a sentinel and graduate. Actually the more I think about it the plot has some resemblance to Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead. Though not enough for it to be a problem. Of course she later finds out that there is something VERY special about her that could make Alex a target for diamons, but I won't tell you because I try my best to do spoiler free reviews (sorry!) :)

The Writing

I really like JLA's writing, I mean I'm no expert when it comes to whose a great writer and whatnot but I felt that her writing style allowed me to get lost in the book and see it almost like a movie. Something that I tend to be picky about is how writers write a teenagers dialogue in a book. When they start trying to make them sound to 'hip' and 'cool', that's when I just have to put the book down. Just. No. So I appreciate when writer like JLA doesn't over analyze how they THINK a teen would talk; they just write and it comes off more realistic.

The Characters

It's a little early to say but at the moment I love Alex. She has everything I love for a character in a book to have: attitude, smart-mouthed (in a funny way) and tough. She reminds me a little of Rose from the Vampire Academy before Rose started getting on my nerves.

Aiden is just aaahhh....great! He really is. I like how sweet and caring he is of Alex. And of course the whole "forbidden love" keeps things interesting.

I also really like Seth as well. I tried not to, because I can't stand when a possible love interest in a book is a total jerk and the girl is still attracted to him. AND Seth does have some jerkish qualities but I couldn't help but love the scenes with him and Alex. I can already feel a love triangle brewing. And I'm sorry but I'm a sucker for love triangles.

Caleb, another great character, is the loyal friend of Alex. I think my favorite part about their friendship, is that they're just friends. I starting to get a little tired of friends turing into boyfriends in Young Adult Fiction. It shows that its possible to for a girl and guy to be friends and it stay that way.

The Good

EVERYTHING! The romance, the characters, the plot, the writing, everything! For me to really love a book it has to have characters that I can be invested. And I am definitely invested in Alex, Aiden and Seth. I found myself re-reading passages just for the fun of it. Here's two of many of my favorite quotes:

Alex: "How come you smile when you knock me down?"
Aiden: "It's the little things that make me happy."

"Need covers itself with love, but need...need is never love. Always beware of the one who needs you. There is always a want behind a need, you see."

The Bad

Nothing that really stands out to me. I mean I guess it could have had a faster pace, but that's not really something that bothers me. I think it had its purpose and the action filled ending totally made up for it.

My Final Thoughts

My first 5 star review, Yay! I absolutely recommend this book for anyone who loves YA Fantasy or just a good read in general. Sadly, now I just have to wait to get the other books :( but enough about me go and get this book!

Happy Reading!,