chloelee

[B.O.O.K.L.I.F.E]

Hey! My name is Chloe, I am an 18- year-old college student. I love reading and review YA fiction and am the co-blogger of [B.O.O.K.L.I.F.E]. I also love action moveies, cats, and tea.

Destined
Aprilynne Pike
Goodbye, Rebel Blue
Shelley Coriell
Stitch - Samantha Durante More Reviews on Coco's Bookish Adventures

Actual Rating: 3.5 stars
Review:

The Story

God, its going to hard to write this review without MAJOR vagueness. Mostly because the book is just one GIANT spoiler. But I going to try.

This story had a VERY slow beginning. I'm talking about half the book slow. But it did start to pick up pace with a crazy twist that in hindsight isn't to different from the plot of most post-apocalyptic/dystopian books.

Still I it give me more reason to be interested in the book than how it started, which of course had its purpose.

The Writing

The writing was good. Almost too good at times, if that makes sense. What I mean is most of the characters dialogue was so nicely written, I was kinda like "Who talks like this?", so of it was so intelligent that I couldn't imagine real teenagers talking like that. But obviously that just a minor complaint.

The Characters

For a while I didn't have any feelings toward the MC, Alyssa. She was just...there, I didn't hate her I didn't like her or ANYTHING. And I'm told all these things about her character that are supposed to make her interesting but I need PROOF that its true, you know.

The other characters were more of the same. Nothing that really drew me to them or made me care what happened to them. None of the characters were interesting or engaging really till the end.

The Good

The twist. Even though I probably should have seen it coming it did surprise me. I was about to give up on the book till I got to that part, actually. So it was interesting enough to keep me reading :)

The writing was excellent and very intelligent and engaging.

The Bad

The beginning was SOOOOO SLOW. Usually I forgive this but it took too long to get to the interesting parts. I understand that it takes time to build up a story and the characters but it can't take more than half the book.

The dialogue was a little annoying and hard to read sometimes. Only because I can't imagine teen or someone not in their forty's talking like the characters were talking

The characters held no real interest for me. And great characters is what makes a great book. There was nothing there that lead me to believe that these characters are people that I should invest my time in. Even though I started to like the MC towards the end I still have to talk about the book as a whole and in the beginning I wasn't feeling it.

My Final Thoughts

Despite some of the negative comments I actually did like the book and look forward to the next one. It had the type of ending that made promises for a better second book! Especially now that all the boring stuff is out of the way and we can get down to the great dystopianess. And as for recommendations.... I would recommend it. More so to those who like dystopia.