chloelee

[B.O.O.K.L.I.F.E]

Hey! My name is Chloe, I am an 18- year-old college student. I love reading and review YA fiction and am the co-blogger of [B.O.O.K.L.I.F.E]. I also love action moveies, cats, and tea.

Destined
Aprilynne Pike
Goodbye, Rebel Blue
Shelley Coriell
Touch of Frost - Jennifer Estep For MORE Reviews visit [B.O.O.K.L.I.F.E]: http://mnkbooklife.blogspot.com

Title : Touch of Frost
Pages : 350
Source : Library
Rating : ✿✿✿✿

Review:

Sometimes I want to read a super serious, make-me-feel-so-many-emotions, type of book. but I also think that the a little silly, make you smile and laugh book are to be appreciated too. By the way this book is totally the later.

"I know you secret."

— Gwen Frost

The Story
In this magical mythology read 16-year-old gypsy Gwen Frost attend a school for Valkyries, Spartans and other creatures. After a student is murdered Gwen attempt to use her gift of psychometric to find the killer but discovers much more than she expected.

I really did like this book, a little slow and silly at times but it made me smile. And the second half and ending was very exciting so it more than made up for the slow beginning.

The Writing
Uhh...it was OK. Nothing overly bad that I can recall to bring up now. But it also isn't like it will be winning any awards anytime soon. It was good for what was. Not great but...good

One thing that I did like about the writing, was that it did not appear to take itself too seriously which made the little things that I would usually find annoying, fun and quirky.

The Characters
Oh...Gwen. You snarky, nerdy, high outcast cliche you. It really made me just love more. I loved the funny quips you came up with even when inappropriate. The comic book obsession just to make you seem quirky. I loved it all.

There's not really much I can say about Logan Quinn, the bad boy love interest, at this point. Who of course due to the YA genre rule is titled a “man whore” but apparently this is okay because he's hot. There words not mine. But I have a feeling that he will grow on me. But at this point no. Although I did like that he saved Gwen, because you know...if she died...where would the story go?

Daphne was one of my favorite characters. Probably because I am a sucker for the reformed blonde b***h. I don't really know why I just do. And she make a fun contrast to Gwen so I look forward to seeing a lot more of her in the future.

The Good
This was truly a FUN read. It was quick and easy to get through. It wasn't overly emotional or thought provoking, not that I have any qualms about that it's just nice to have a change of pace. And I even found myself laughing and enjoying the bit of silliness in the cliches and angst instead of finding it irksome as I usually would. I also liked the little bit of mystery that was thrown in there.

I also liked that this book reminded me a little of House of Night. At least all the good things that I remember about House of Night. The magical school, the fun but cliched characters. In a way I actually think I like this better than HoN.

And like I said before it doesn't take itself to seriously.

The Bad
This book high school teen cliches up the yin yang. The nerdy misfit who does not fit in. The bitchy blonde who ends up befriending said nerdy girl. The bad boy with a heart. And I'm only a FEW.

My Final Thoughts
Look, if you're looking for a book that will make you cry and has some deep hidden message, than don't read this book. But if you want a fast paced read, a book that will make you smile and laugh, and are the kind of person that can ignore a little bit of silliness. Then you'll enjoy Touch of Frost. I totally recommend.